Finches are delightful birds to watch, and they can be attracted to your backyard with the right bird feeder. A finch bird feeder is specifically designed to hold the small seeds that these birds love to eat.
It is important to note that not all bird feeders are created equal, and choosing the right one can make a significant difference in the number of finches that visit your yard.
When selecting a bird feeder for finches, the most critical thing to consider is the size of the feeding ports. Finches have small beaks, and they prefer to eat from small holes that are just big enough to fit their beaks.
Another important aspect is the type of seed that the feeder can hold. Niger seeds, also known as thistle seeds, are the favorite food of finches. A good finch feeder should have a mesh or sock design that can hold these tiny seeds securely.
After researching and testing various finch bird feeders, I have identified the 7 best options that can help you attract these beautiful birds to your yard.
These feeders have been chosen based on their feeding port size, seed capacity, durability, and ease of cleaning. With one of these feeders, you can enjoy the sight of finches feeding in your yard all year round.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Bird Feeders for Finches
- 2 Buying Guide
- 3 Author
Best Bird Feeders for Finches
As a bird enthusiast, I know how important it is to provide the right kind of feeder for our feathered friends. When it comes to finches, they are attracted to specific types of feeders that cater to their small size and feeding habits.
After researching and testing various bird feeders, I have compiled a list of the 7 best bird feeders for finches. These feeders not only provide the right kind of food but also offer a safe and comfortable feeding environment for finches to enjoy.
*Click any of the links below to purchase on Amazon!
If you’re looking for a bird feeder that can hold a lot of seeds and attract different bird species, then the Koalaime Bird Feeder is a good choice.
- The retractable design allows for a large capacity of up to 7 pounds of seed.
- The metal surface is treated with paint coating, making it rust-proof and sun-proof.
- The feeder has a 360-degree all-round seed outlet and three cups designed to provide ample water and food for birds.
- The feeder may not be completely squirrel-proof.
- Some birds may have a hard time getting the seeds out of the feeder.
- The feeder may be difficult to clean thoroughly.
I recently purchased the Koalaime Bird Feeder and was impressed with its retractable design, which allowed me to fill it with a lot of seeds. The metal surface is also treated with paint coating, making it rust-proof and sun-proof. I love that it has a 360-degree all-round seed outlet and three cups designed to provide ample water and food for birds.
However, I did notice that some squirrels were still able to get to the seeds, so it may not be completely squirrel-proof. Additionally, some birds had a hard time getting the seeds out of the feeder, which was a bit disappointing. Lastly, the feeder may be difficult to clean thoroughly, which could be a hassle for some.
Overall, I think the Koalaime Bird Feeder is a great choice for those looking for a bird feeder that can hold a lot of seeds and attract different bird species.
If you’re looking for a bird feeder that can hold a lot of seed and attract a variety of finches, the Kaytee Wild Bird Finch Station Soft Mesh Sock Feeder might be the one for you.
- The unique design of the feeder allows numerous birds to eat at the same time.
- The feeder is sized and designed to fit more birds comfortably.
- The feeder holds a lot of seed, so it needs to be filled less often.
- The top of the feeder allows rain to penetrate the extra seed, rendering that feature useless.
- The seed bag/sock is too long for some people’s liking.
- The holes in the sock are large, causing some seed to be lost when filling.
I recently purchased this feeder and was impressed with how many finches it attracted. The soft mesh sock design is perfect for finches, and the feeder holds a lot of seed, so I don’t have to fill it as often as other feeders. However, I did notice that the top of the feeder allows rain to get in, which can make the extra seed feature useless. Also, the sock is a bit long, which some people might not like. Lastly, the holes in the sock are large, causing some seed to be lost when filling it up.
Overall, I would recommend the Kaytee Wild Bird Finch Station Soft Mesh Sock Feeder for those looking for a feeder that can hold a lot of seed and attract a variety of finches.
If you’re looking for a bird feeder that can attract a variety of birds, then My Bird Feeder with Large 7lb Capacity is a great option. It is easy to fill, has an ideal perch design, and is weatherproof.
- The large 7lb / 7 quart capacity makes it easy to fill and spend more time watching the birds.
- The ideal perch design is perfect for larger birds like cardinals and fits all types of birds including finches, blue jays, chickadees, doves, goldfinches, and more.
- The unique patented funnel design keeps seeds dry and fresh, preventing moldy food.
- The feeder is a bit pricey compared to other bird feeders.
- The feeder is quite tall, which might not be suitable for those who prefer a shorter feeder.
- The feeder only has four feeding stations, which might not be enough for larger bird populations.
In my experience, filling up this feeder is a breeze. The metal flip-top lid makes it easy to access the feeder, and the large capacity means I don’t have to refill it frequently. The larger perches are perfect for cardinals and other larger birds, and they can comfortably reach their food. The feeder is also weatherproof, which means it can withstand harsh weather conditions.
However, the feeder is a bit pricey compared to other bird feeders in the market. It is also quite tall, which might not be suitable for those who prefer a shorter feeder. Additionally, the feeder only has four feeding stations, which might not be enough for larger bird populations.
Overall, I would recommend My Bird Feeder with Large 7lb Capacity to anyone who wants to attract a variety of birds to their backyard. It is easy to fill, has an ideal perch design, and is weatherproof, making it a great investment for bird-watching enthusiasts.
I highly recommend the SHINYEVER Bird Feeder for bird enthusiasts who want to attract a variety of wild birds to their backyard.
- The large 7 lb capacity can hold a variety of seeds and nuts to attract many types of wild birds.
- The metal mesh design keeps squirrels out and is made of solid metal materials to ensure it will not be damaged by squirrels or raccoons.
- The 360-degree feeding angle and circular perch provide a great view of the birds enjoying their meal.
- The feeder is heavier than most bird feeders, which may make it difficult to hang in some areas.
- The metal mesh design may make it difficult for larger birds to access the food.
- The red spray paint may fade over time with exposure to the elements.
I was impressed with how easy it was to fill and clean this feeder. The detachable lid is easy to remove and the unique bird clip can lock the lid so that squirrels and other animals can’t open it. The 8 drainage holes keep the seed dry and fresh, and the metal roof effectively keeps the seeds from being wetted by rain.
I also appreciated the beautiful gazebo design and the layer of waterproof paint that is applied to the surface to further extend its life to withstand the weather and outdoor elements. It’s also a great gift for family and friends who enjoy bird watching.
Overall, the SHINYEVER Bird Feeder is a durable, squirrel-proof, and easy-to-use bird feeder that will attract a variety of wild birds to your backyard.
If you’re looking for a durable bird feeder that can withstand squirrel damage, the Kingsyard Metal Mesh Tube Bird Feeder is a great option.
- The squirrel-proof design ensures that your birdseed stays safe from pesky squirrels.
- The large capacity of 2.5 lbs allows you to fill it up with nyjer/thistle seeds to attract a variety of finches and other small birds.
- The easy-to-refill and clean design means you won’t have to struggle to maintain your feeder.
- Some users have reported that the feeder can be difficult to fill if you’re not using a funnel.
- The mesh design may not be suitable for larger birds, as they may not be able to perch comfortably.
- The feeder may not be as weather-resistant as some other models.
I’ve been using the Kingsyard Metal Mesh Tube Bird Feeder for a few weeks now, and I’m impressed with its overall design and functionality. The metal construction feels sturdy and durable, and the powder-coated finish gives it a sleek, modern look.
One of the standout features of this feeder is its squirrel-proof design. I’ve had issues with squirrels raiding my bird feeders in the past, so I was happy to find that this feeder kept them at bay. The wire mesh design is also great for attracting smaller birds like finches, who can easily cling to the mesh surface while they eat.
The feeder’s large capacity means I don’t have to refill it as often, which is a plus. And when I do need to refill it, the twist-off top and base make it a breeze to access the inside of the feeder. I will say that it can be a bit tricky to fill the feeder without a funnel, but it’s not a dealbreaker for me.
Overall, I would recommend the Kingsyard Metal Mesh Tube Bird Feeder to anyone looking for a durable, squirrel-proof feeder for their backyard. It’s a great option for attracting finches and other small birds, and its easy-to-clean design makes it a breeze to maintain.
I highly recommend the Perky-Pet Finch Feeder With Flexports for anyone looking to attract finches, redpolls, siskins, and other small birds to their yard. The feeder’s patented Flexports offer a variety of feeding angles, which is a major plus.
- The feeder’s unique design offers more feeding angles than standard finch ports, making it easier for birds to feed and increasing their visibility for a longer stay.
- The feeder’s dual perch positions allow for both right-side-up and upside-down feeding, which is a great feature that birds love.
- The feeder’s six feeding stations with Flexports prevent seed clogging, which is a common issue with other bird feeders.
- The perches are easy to snap off during assembly, so be careful during the setup process.
- Some birds may take a while to get used to the feeder’s different feeding angles and ports.
- The feeder is made of plastic, so it may not be as durable as metal feeders.
Overall, the Perky-Pet Finch Feeder With Flexports is a great choice for anyone looking to attract finches and other small birds to their yard. The feeder’s unique design, dual perch positions, and six feeding stations with Flexports make it a standout product that birds won’t be able to resist. Plus, the clear tube makes it easy to monitor seed levels at a glance.
If you’re looking for a bird feeder that’s squirrel-proof and can accommodate small wild birds, then the Garden Guru Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder is worth considering.
- The cage design is perfect for small birds to slip in, but the bars are too small for squirrels and large birds.
- The four feeding ports are well spaced, allowing multiple birds to access feed and dine at the same time.
- The all-metal cage is durable, rust-resistant, and chew-proof, making it weatherproof and easy to set up without any tools.
- The lid can be difficult to fit onto the oval tube, and it may come off easily, allowing birds to knock it off.
- The feeder is small, and the cylinder is not centered, making it fragile and prone to tipping over.
- The arched shape of the top cover can make it difficult to refill the tube without spilling seeds.
I recently purchased this feeder, and I found it to be an attractive and functional addition to my backyard. The seed ports have perches for perching birds, while the wire provides a surface area for clinging birds, attracting a variety of finches, sparrows, titmice, chickadees, and more. The clear tube lets you see when it’s time to refill the seeds, and the metal top cover keeps the seeds fresh and dry to help prevent moldy buildup. Refilling the tube is easy; simply unlatch and raise the lid to refill.
Overall, I think the Garden Guru Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder is a good investment for those who want to enjoy the beauty of backyard birds without the hassle of squirrels and larger undesirable birds. It comes with a lifetime warranty and a 90-day “no questions asked” satisfaction guarantee, making it a risk-free purchase.
When choosing a bird feeder for finches, there are a few key features to consider to ensure that you are providing the best possible environment for these small birds to thrive.
First and foremost, it is important to choose a feeder that is specifically designed for finches. These feeders typically have smaller ports and perches that are better suited for the small size of finches. Additionally, they often have features such as thistle or nyjer seed ports, which are a favorite of finches.
Another important consideration is the size of the feeder. While you want to provide enough food for your finches, it is also important to choose a feeder that is appropriately sized for the number of birds you have visiting.
A feeder that is too small can lead to overcrowding and competition for food, while a feeder that is too large may not be visited as frequently, leading to wasted seed.
When it comes to materials, there are a variety of options available, including plastic, metal, and wood. Each material has its own benefits and drawbacks, so it is important to choose a feeder that is durable and weather-resistant, while also being easy to clean and maintain.
Other features to consider when choosing a bird feeder for finches include:
- Seed capacity: Choose a feeder with a seed capacity that matches the number of birds you have visiting, to ensure that you are not constantly refilling the feeder.
- Easy to clean: Look for feeders that are easy to disassemble and clean, as this will help to prevent the spread of disease and keep your feeder in good condition.
- Squirrel-proof: If you have squirrels in your area, consider a feeder with squirrel-proof features, such as a weight-activated perch or a cage around the feeder.
- Placement: Choose a location for your feeder that is away from predators, such as cats, and in a spot that is easily visible from indoors.
By considering these factors when choosing a bird feeder for finches, you can ensure that you are providing a safe and comfortable environment for these beautiful birds to visit and enjoy.