Are you looking to attract more bird life to your yard? Setting up a bird feeder is one of the best ways to attract birds and give them an easily accessible source of food. It’s an easy and affordable way to bring joy and life into your backyard.
In this article, we’ll provide you with an easy guide on how to set up a bird feeder in your yard, so you can benefit from the beauty of bird watching!
Table of Contents
How to Set up a Bird Feeder in your Yard?
Install a bird feeder to provide your backyard with the chance to attract more wildlife. Try one of the easy methods below: My recommended products below are direct linked to Amazon.
- Hang it from a tree with these (hanging chains).
- On a porch railing with these (deck hooks).
- Near natural food sources like bushes and flowers.
- Hanging on fences using (hanging brackets).
- Attached to a 2nd floor window. Check out this window bird feeder.
- Mounted to a pole or post (Recommended all-in-one kit includes hopper feeder + pole mounting kit with hardware) assembly is very easy. (Universal mounting bracket for heavier units).
- On top of an old tree stump.
- On Your Porch or Balcony: If you have an outdoor porch or balcony with room for a feeder, it is one of the best spots for attracting many types of birds. A simple plastic tube-type feeder will do the trick.
- Near a water source such as a birdbath or pond.
Backyard Bird Information Tool
Use this tool to learn more about common backyard birds. Select a species from the drop-down menu to see information about the proper feeder and food type, as well as some interesting facts about the bird.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where should I put my bird feeder in my yard?
When it comes to choosing a bird feeder, you should make sure that the bird feeder is placed in an area that will attract as many types of birds as possible.
Step 1) Place your bird feeder in an area that receives plenty of sunlight.
Step 2) Keep your feeder away from trees and shrubs, so that the seed will not be consumed by squirrels or other animals. You should place it where there is plenty of sunlight and away from any trees or bushes for safety reasons.
Step 3) Place the feeder near a source of water to attract thirsty birds, like a birdbath or pond.
Step 4) Keep Your Yard and Garden Clean
How to select the right birdseed for your bird feeder ?
Choosing the right birdseed is important because it determines what type of birds you will attract to your yard. Different types of seeds attract different types of birds and so choosing the wrong seed can result in a lack of variety or too many pesky squirrels!
Here are some tips on selecting the best seed:
- -If you want to attract numerous species, use mixed seed which includes peanuts, sunflower seeds, millet and safflower.
- If you want a particular species to visit your feeder, purchase only that type of seed.
- -When choosing between black oil sunflower seeds and striped sunflower seeds for your feeders, remember that the smaller birds are more attracted to the striped variety while larger birds prefer black oil seeds.
- -For woodpeckers and nuthatches specifically, we recommend millet which is small enough for their beaks but high in nutrients at the same time.
- -A good tip for all birdseed mixes is to offer a variety of textures and colors, which makes them more enticing to different types of birds.
Using seed mixes for bird feeders can provide a variety of seed, but they will also attract various types of birds. You can choose between the different types of seeds for feeding.
For a quality bird food to attract the greatest variety of colorful songbirds, I would recommend the Wagner’s 62059 Greatest Variety Blend Wild Bird. Find the lowest price on Amazon.
To attract chickadees, robins, orioles, blue jays, titmice, buntings, cardinals, grosbeaks, towhees, nuthatches and Cedar Waxwings. I would recommend the Lyric 2647413 Fruit & Nut High Energy Wild Bird Food. Get it for a great price on Amazon.
Bird Feeder Types
The bird feeder should be placed high in the area in order to allow it to remain in an open position so that birds will be able to see it. Birds tend to visit the feeder if they find the seed appealing.
There are many varieties of bird feeders, some are built with the intention of attracting only one particular species of bird, while others are more general.
A premium bird feeder that will attract many birds to your yard that I use myself with great success is the Squirrel-proof Bird Feeder w/6 Feeding Ports. This feeder is squirrel proof and has a lifetime warranty and no tools required. Find the lowest price on Amazon.
For apartments and condos an excellent feeder is the Window Bird Feeder with Strong Suction Cups and Seed Tray. Get amazing views of your favorite birds without binoculars. Get the best deal for this feeder on Amazon.
To attract different types of birds I would recommend a multi feeder such as the Bird Feeding Station Kit Bird Feeder Pole. This all-in-one bird feeder holder has everything you need to attract birds and decorate your garden. You can find the best deal on Amazon.