Are you on the hunt for the best birdhouse for finches? As a bird enthusiast or someone who enjoys having winged visitors in your backyard, it’s crucial to have the perfect birdhouse to attract and retain these beautiful creatures.
However, with a plethora of options available, it can be overwhelming to narrow down the best choices. Fear not, because we’ve done the hard work for you by meticulously researching, rating, and testing the 9 best birdhouses for finches in 2023.
From simple yet functional wooden designs to more elaborate and decorative options, we’ve curated the top birdhouses that guarantee to entice and delight your feathered friends. Keep reading to discover the ideal abode for your beloved finches.
Special Birdhouse Needs for Finches
Finches are delightful little birds known for their beautiful colors, delightful songs, and playful personalities. However, when it comes to providing them with a safe and comfortable home, you need to choose a birdhouse that meets their specific needs. In this article, we’ll explore the reasons why finches need a special type of birdhouse.
Size and Design
One of the main reasons why finches require a unique type of birdhouse is due to their small size and delicate features. Therefore, it’s essential to choose a birdhouse that’s appropriately sized and designed to suit their needs. A birdhouse that is too large or too small can cause discomfort or even be dangerous for finches.
Finches have specific nesting habits that require a certain type of birdhouse design. They prefer a birdhouse that is enclosed and has a small entrance hole to provide them with privacy and protection from predators. A well-designed birdhouse will also include features such as perches
Choosing the right birdhouse for finches can be a tricky task, as these feathered friends have some specific requirements when it comes to their nesting habits. Here are the key features that you need to consider when selecting a birdhouse for finches:
- Size: Finches are small birds, so you need to choose a birdhouse that is appropriately sized for them. Look for a house that is at least 6 inches deep and has a floor area of around 4 x 4 inches.
- Material: The type of material that your birdhouse is made from is also important. A wooden birdhouse is a popular choice for finches, as it is a natural material that can help keep them warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
- Entrance hole: The size and shape of the entrance hole can also make a big difference when it comes to attracting finches. Look for a birdhouse with a small entrance hole of around 1.25 inches in diameter, which will prevent larger birds from entering and disturbing the finches.
- Ventilation: Adequate ventilation is essential to prevent your birdhouse from becoming too hot or humid. Look for a birdhouse with vents or holes in the sides to allow for proper air circulation.
- Location: Finally, the location of your birdhouse is crucial to its success. Finches prefer a birdhouse that is placed in a quiet and sheltered area, away from any potential predators or disturbances.
By considering these important features when choosing a birdhouse for your finches, you can provide them with a safe and comfortable home where they can thrive and flourish.
Best Birdhouse for Finches
#1 Top Pick – Nature’s Way Cedar Bird House Provides a Home for Finches, Swallows, Sparrows and Bluebirds.
Nature’s Way Cedar bird House is made with naturally insect and rot resistant premium cedar and stainless steel rust-free hardware great for finches, swallows, sparrows, bluebirds.
This bird house features a wide entrance to allow larger birds access to the box while preventing predators from getting in.
The nesting compartment has been designed with an open bottom to promote drainage and ventilation as well as having a convenient removable tray that catches droppings which can be emptied without entering the box.
#2 – Kimdio’s Hanging Birdhouses Offer a Stylish Solution for Your Tiny Nesting Birds.
We all love the sight of birds in our yards and around our homes. Kimdio’s hanging birdhouses offer a stylish solution for your tiny nesting birds.
They are made from ceramic, so they won’t rust or corrode and will last forever! These houses can be hung anywhere you like with their convenient hook that makes installation quick and easy.
The porcelain is high quality which provides excellent insulation against heat and cold, which means your little feathered friends will be comfortable. Designed for small nesting birds, such as wrens, finches, chickadees, nuthatches, titmice.
#3 – Bird House DIY Handmade from Fir Wood with Mounting Kit, for Backyard and Patio.
Are you a backyard or patio bird lover? Why not give your garden the gift of nature and create a habitat for beautiful birds with this DIY Bird House Kit.
It’s very easy to assemble, all it takes is hammering nails into predrilled holes in the wooden pieces. The kit includes everything you need to build your own bird house from fir wood: pre-cut lumber pieces, nail spikes, mounting hooks and screws.
Great for finches, bluebird, finch, chickadee and wren.
#4 – Glitzhome’s Patriotic Birdhouse is Made for the American Home.
Glitzhome’s Patriotic Birdhouse is a wonderful addition to any yard. It has a sturdy construction and shingle roof, that is very durable.
The birdhouse also features the American flag colors on the side of it as well as on top of the house in order to celebrate America.
This patriotic birdhouse will be sure to add some color into your yard while also being practical at the same time! Glitzhome’s Patriotic Birdhouse is made for all American homes.
#5 – A Bird House Made in the USA of Natural Red Cedar – Just for Finches.
Every home should have a bird house for all types of wild birds. There are many options out there, but it is important to find one that will work best for your specific needs.
For example, if you only want to attract finches, then this particular model would be perfect because it was made in the USA from natural red cedar and has a specially designed entrance hole which allows just the right size finches in but prevents other larger birds from entering as well.
Designed to attract the smallest of songbirds, such as finches, wrens, bluebirds, chickadees and more.
#6 – Nature’s Way Bird Products Galvanized Weathered Cedar Bird House.
Nature’s Way Bird Products has the solution for those who want to offer their birds a natural, healthy habitat.
The Nature’s Way Bird Products Galvanized Weathered Cedar bird House is made with high-quality naturally insect and rot-resistant Premium cedar.
It features two openings on the front, which are perfect for attracting finches and bluebirds, as well as other small songbirds. This product also includes a built-in drainage system that prevents flooding during rainstorms.
#7 – The Amazing Perky-Pet Birdhouse Made From Fir.
The Perky-Pet Birdhouse Made From Fir is a Dutch Style roof bird house that is made from fir weather resistant and insect-repelling, quality made construction.
It has features that make it perfect for birds, such as natural ventilation holes in the side of the home which provide cross breezes to keep your feathered friends cool during those hot summer days.
And there are two strategically placed drainage holes for rainstorms. This beautiful wooden bird house has a very sleek design that will enhance any backyard or garden area.
#8 – Meet the Birdhouse That’ll Give Your Garden Some Style.
Birdhouses are a popular choice for homeowners. But you’re not just choosing any old birdhouse.
This one is made of durable resin and features hand-painted detail, making it perfect for your garden or deck! Dawhud Direct Decorative Hand-Painted Bird House is the ideal addition to your backyard space.
These houses will attract finches and bluebirds to hang out on their porch while providing shelter from predators.
#9 – Woodlink NABB Audubon Cedar Finch & Bluebird House – Easy to Clean, Handcrafted with Natural Cedar.
Woodlink NABB Audubon Cedar Finch & Bluebird House is a handcrafted house for birds. The wood is made from natural cedar, which makes it durable and long-lasting.
This birdhouse is designed by Woodlink, a company that has been in the business of designing high quality outdoor products since 1961. The natural cedar construction ensures a sturdy, long-lasting birdhouse with added insulation properties.
This birdhouse provides an easy to clean environment for your favorite feathered friends and can attract more birds to your backyard.
Need Help? Check out these articles:
- How to Attract Birds to a New Bird Feeder?
- How to Set up a Bird Feeder in your Yard?
- 13 Best Bird Feeder Poles (Tested)
Tips for Attracting Finches to Your Birdhouse
- Choose a sheltered location for your birdhouse, away from strong winds and predators like cats.
- Provide nesting materials such as grasses, twigs, and feathers in the area around the birdhouse.
- Offer a variety of food options to attract finches, such as sunflower seeds, nyjer seeds, and thistle seeds.
- Keep the birdhouse clean and well-maintained to ensure it remains a desirable home for finches.
- Consider adding a water source nearby, such as a birdbath or shallow dish, to provide finches with a place to drink and bathe.
- Be patient and persistent, as it may take some time for finches to discover and start using your birdhouse.
Frequently Asked Questions
What size hole do you need for a Finch birdhouse?
The Finch requires a hole size of 2″ inches, which is large enough for them to enter and exit easily, but not so big that other birds will fit through it.
How do you attract finches to a birdhouse?
1) Install a birdhouse with holes big enough. 2) Plant bushes and trees near where they’ll nest. 3) Hang lots of dried seed pods from trees and bushes. 4) Add pine cones to your bird feeder. 5) Keep it clean by removing droppings every day 6) Add a feeding station and water source nearby. 7) Make sure the house has drainage holes, for wet weather.
What time of year do finches come out?
Finches are the bird you’ll see all year long. This means that they’re out in winter, spring, summer and fall, but they are most commonly seen from July through September.
Where is the best place to hang finch feeders?
1) Hang your feeder near natural habitats like trees and bushes where they can easily fly down. 2) Place it about 10-12 feet off the ground. 3) Place it close enough to other types of bird feeders, but not too close. 4) Keep it away from heavily trafficked paths and patios. 5) Place in an area as that provides protection from the elements.
Do finches come back to the same nest every year?
It’s very common that finches will return year after year to the same nest as long as there is a good songbird habitat around it, and especially if it has plenty of natural shelter from predators such as hawks or cats.
Related Post: How to Attract House Finch to your Yard? (Easy & Fast)